Tuesday, November 10, 2009

All in one Week!


This is the story of a mother and a daughter having entirely too much fun.
Once upon a time there were these magical trains running all over Europe. These magical trains brought my mom and I together on October 23 to begin a new and mysterious adventure.
Days 1, 2, and 3- Paris, France
Paris was EVERYTHING I had imagined Paris to be. The Eiffel Tower was HUGE and overwhelming. After waiting in line forever to get to the tippy top, we finally did it. I told mom we should climb the stairs but she’s a wimp…jk. Notre Dame was also very overwhelming and gorgeous! Regretfully we didn’t climb to the top when we should have. Next time I guess. I guess we should just let it be said that everything in Paris is hug and overwhelming because the Louvre, the Arch De triomph, the Hotel de Infedeles, the Opera House, and the Sacres Coure, were all Magnificent. Even just walking down the street blew us away. We got there just in time for the fall colors to really start catching fire. All in all Paris rocked. 3 days was clearly not enough time to make even a dent in this massive city.

Days 4, 5, and 6- Berlin, Germany
Monday Morning we headed to Berlin. It took us pretty much all day to get there but we deserved a long relaxing train ride after walking for three days straight. Any way, we got to our hotel and it was way bigger and cheaper than our one in Paris. Paris is just way too expensive all together. Tuesday we went on this crazy cool walking tour all through Berlin and saw a lot of amazing historical sites and memorials. Berlin is like a big collage of really old, kinda old, kind of new, and really new stuff. It’s seen so much destruction but the people are so good at just picking things up again. And there is so much history to Germany. In all of Europe really, but those pour litte german school children have to learn so much I bet, haha. Here are some pictures. We had a lot of fun here and would totally recommend it to any travelers.
Day 7 and 9- Munich, Germany
So we got to Munich safe and sound on Thursday afternoon and were all excited to spend the afternoon at Dachau Concentration camp. This was the first concentration camp opened by the Nazi government. I’m so bad at remembering all the facts, but this place was very solemn and just totally unreal. For those of you who have had the opportunity to visit a camp, you know. There isn’t anything quite like it.
Day 8- Day trip to Salzburg, Austria
Can you guess what we did here in the magical town of Salzburg???? You guessed it- The Sound of Music Tour!!!! My mom will probably tell you that this was her favorite part of the week. And It really was pretty great. This tour took us to a bunch of the films actual locations.
It also took us up through the mountains and lake district. It was kinda cloudy and foggy but like we care. The view was still magnificent. The tour guide even played the music while we were cruising through the country side.
When we got back to the center of town we spent a few hours just wlking around to all the shops in Mozart Platz. Yeah Mozart was born here! We went crazy with all the Christmas stuff that they already have set up. This town is so great. Another great travel destination for anyone going to Austria.
Back to Munich for Day 9
So when we first got to Munich the only things we saw were strip clubs, bars, and casinos… we were like what the heck is this this place???!!!
But our first impression was completely wrong. Saturday I got a hold of my dear friend Melanie, who I met at the YSA conference in Augburg, and her and all my other friends form that conference met us in Munich and took us on a quick walk around town.
Munich is beautiful!!! The gardens are incredible, and the building are really just super duper. I can’t believe we didn’t give ourselves another day there or at least planned to be there longer than the three hours we spent walking around. We owe a big thanks to my friends who showed us around.
Saturday night we traveled to Freiburg!! A funny story.
Mom and I usually just sat in the normal seats where there were a lot of people around, but his time we found and empty room and we made ourselves at home. And we came prepared. The day before we bought some face cards to get our game on. So I start killing Mom in California speed and we are just going at it, screaming, and laughing and obviously NOT paying attention to the outside world. I was winning when a conductor guy walked by our door and opened it and looked at us all weird. Come to find out. We had reached the trains last stop! We were so confused but miraculously a train continuing on to Freiburg was right next to our train. So it was all good. That’s the last time I sit in a compartment.
Home again. Its kinda weird thinking of Freiburg as my home, but it is!! Sunday was pretty chill, we got up and went to church, took a lovely nap, and spent the rest of the day walking around and getting mom packed up to go home.

I could not have asked for a better week. Thank you soooo much Mom for going on this adventure with me!!! P.S. I have the greatest mom ever.
Enjoy the pictures. There’s no order to them at all but at least I got them up right?

2 comments:

  1. It has been so fun experiencing Germany with you these last 2 months. I am so very glad that you are good at blogging!
    I feel like this has been a life altering experience and I think it is so great. Keep staying strong. You are such a great example!
    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA! and you are the best daughter ever!! It was really one of the best weeks of my life! love ya Tara! mom

    ReplyDelete